Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Thrifting

People always ask me where I shop, some people say they like to see me every day just to see what I am wearing. The thing is, most of my clothes are from the thrift store, and I am not ashamed to say so.
A co-worker asked me a few weeks ago if I know how lucky I am because of the clothes I get to wear. I consider myself lucky for other things, but not for that.... Clothes are just that, clothes. But I told her I would let her in my little secret. So I did.
Of course, I also get new items, but I mix and match them with vintage classics to give my outfit a nice, interesting twist.
For shopping at thrift stores like Goodwill, I would find one near an upscale neighborhood, if you want one of a kind items. When they donate items, they are in really good condition for the most part, and sometimes I even find new items with the tags still on!
I have also found a couple of nice handbags and even a Chanel watch. Not specifically looking for brands, I usually buy what I like regardless of the brand, but I do come across expensive things every once in a while.
Shoes can be tricky because they, a lot of times, look good on the outside but on the inside, the sole is worn out.

So, you can do one of two things:

1- You can think about it and if it is worth it, purchase them, and take them to a shoe repair shop.

2- You can wear them knowing that if they are heels, they can be loud when you walk on hardwood floors or the pavement until you get them fixed or throw them away.

Just make sure that shoes are not uncomfortable to walk in or to wear for long periods of time. They might not be pricey at the thrift store, but if you have to pay to get them fixed, you might want to make sure they are comfortable. Look at it as a good investment. I am just relieved that they now put a price tag on shoes, instead of writing the price on the soles with permanent markers!

Believe it or not, thrift stores also have sale days, so it does not hurt to find out when those are.

You can find anything from "no name" to "Salvatore Ferragamo"  while you help others. And while you are there, please donate if you can. Anything helps.

I have attached a few pictures below. They are all items from thrift stores in Denver and the Chicago area. Please, let me know what you think, or share any tricks you might know!


Wilson's Leather Burgundy Fur Coat $15




Spiegel Sweater $6
                                          

Saks Fifth Avenue Sweater $6
                                                                                                       

Saks Fifth Avenue Booties $10

  

No comments:

Post a Comment